These workshops teach attendees how to haul the most legal weight without violating truck-weight laws. The workshops explain road weights during various times of the year, including the winter load increase and spring load restrictions. How trucks are configured — with proper axle spacing and tire size — makes a difference.
Dates & Locations
This workshop is scheduled from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (registration begins at 8:30 a.m.) at the specified location on each of the dates listed below.
- March 23, 2017—Freeborn County Highway Department, 3300 Bridge Avenue, Albert Lea, MN 56007
- March 29, 2017—Polk County Human Service Center, 1424 Central Avenue NE, East Grand Forks, MN 56721
- March 30, 2017—Roseau at Gene’s Restaurant, 1095 3rd Street NW, Roseau, MN 56751
- April 5, 2017—Mankato City Center Hotel, 101 East Main Street, Mankato, MN 56001
- April 6, 2017—Lyon County Law Enforcement Center, 611 West Main Street, Marshall, MN 56258
- April 19, 2017—Holiday Inn and Suites, 200 West First Street, Duluth, MN 55802
- April 20, 2017—MnDOT District 2A, 3920 Highway 2 West, Bemidji, MN 56601
- September 6, 2017—Mankato City Center Hotel, 101 East Main Street, Mankato, MN 56001
- September 13, 2017—MnDOT District 3B, 3725 12th Street North, St. Cloud, MN 56303
- September 20, 2017—MnDOT District 2A, 3920 Highway 2 West, Bemidji, MN 56601
- Register online
- Download the registration form (PDF)
- Registration contact: Continuing Professional Education, University of Minnesota, 612-625-2900, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cost: There is no cost to attend, but registration is required. Coffee breaks and program materials will be provided.
- Please note: Registration of more than three members from the same company requires instructor approval.
Who Should Attend
Trucking entities who want to load to the maximum legal weight possible. Scale operators, farm truck owners and operators, aggregate haulers, truck manufacturers who configure truck axles and tires, township and county authorities who influence truck route weights, any company representative who influences the purchase or alteration of new trucks, out-of-state companies who need to understand and comply with Minnesota's legal weight limits, and truck driving students.
Please Note: This is not a “permitting” class for those who haul over-dimensional or overweight equipment that requires an oversize permit from either the state or county agencies. The class does cover the permit requirement for harvest and timber commodities and the 10 percent winter-load-increase (WLI) permit for trucks operating on Interstate highways.
This program will be presented by the Alexandria Technical and Community College. Instructors include:
- Greg Hayes, Program Developer, Coordinator, and Instructor
- Bruce Verdoes, Coordinator (effective March 2017)
- Paul Robischon, Instructor
- Keith Williamson, Instructor
This educational course was developed by Greg A. Hayes in 2001 to help anyone understand the technical criteria of the truck weight laws in Minnesota. For questions regarding course content, please contact course instructor Greg Hayes at 218-684-1764 or GAHayes@gmail.com.
- 1.0 Roads Scholar Program elective credit.
- To the best of our knowledge, this course/activity meets the continuing education requirements for 6.0 PDHs as outlined in Minnesota Statute 326.107. More information concerning continuing education for professionals is online.
For questions regarding course content, please contact course instructor Greg Hayes at 218-684-1764 or GAHayes@gmail.com.
This program is funded by the Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT), in cooperation with Alexandria Technical College and the University of Minnesota. Facilitated by the College of Continuing Education, University of Minnesota.