These workshops teach attendees how to haul the most legal weight without violating truck-weight laws. The workshops explain road weights during various times of the year, including the winter load increase and spring load restrictions. How trucks are configured — with proper axle spacing and tire size — makes a difference.
Dates & Locations
This workshop is scheduled from 9:00 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. (registration begins at 8:30 a.m.) at the specified location on each of the dates listed below.
- March 7, 2018—Alexandria Technical & Community College, 1601 Jefferson Street, Alexandria, MN 56308
- March 8, 2018—MnDOT Training and Conference Center, 1900 West County Road 1, Arden Hills, MN 55126
- March 14, 2018—MnDOT District 1, 1123 Mesaba Avenue, Duluth, MN 55811
- March 15, 2018—Arrowwood Lodge at Brainerd Lakes, 6967 Lake Forest Road, Baxter, MN 56425
- March 21, 2018—Olmsted County Public Works Service Center, 1188 50th Street SE, Rochester, MN 55904
- March 22, 2018—Mankato City Center Hotel, 101 East Main Street, Mankato, MN 56001
- March 28, 2018—Northland Community & Technical College, 1101 Highway 1 East, Thief River Falls, MN 56701
- March 29, 2018—MnDOT District 4A, 1000 Hwy 10 West, Detroit Lakes, MN 56501
- April 4, 2018—MnDOT Windom Large Conference Room, 180 South County Road 26, Windom, MN 56101
- April 5, 2018—Renville Community Center, 221 North Main Street, Renville, MN 56284
- April 11, 2018—City of Bloomington Public Works, 1700 West 98th Street, Bloomington, MN 55431
- April 12, 2018—MnDOT District 3B, 3725 12th Street North, St. Cloud, MN 56303
- Register online
- Registration contact: Marie Villano, firstname.lastname@example.org, 612-624-4972
- Cost: There is no cost to attend, but registration is required. Coffee breaks and program materials will be provided.
- Please note: Registration of more than three members from the same company requires instructor approval.
Who Should Attend
Trucking entities who want to load to the maximum legal weight possible. Scale operators, farm truck owners and operators, aggregate haulers, truck manufacturers who configure truck axles and tires, township and county authorities who influence truck route weights, any company representative who influences the purchase or alteration of new trucks, out-of-state companies who need to understand and comply with Minnesota's legal weight limits, and truck driving students.
Please Note: This is not a “permitting” class for those who haul over-dimensional or overweight equipment that requires an oversize permit from either the state or county agencies. The class does cover the permit requirement for harvest and timber commodities and the 10 percent winter-load-increase (WLI) permit for trucks operating on Interstate highways.
This program will be presented by the Alexandria Technical and Community College. Instructors include:
- Greg Hayes, Program Development and Support
- Tom J. Nelson, Training Coordinator and Instructor
- Paul Robischon, Instructor
- Keith Williamson, Instructor
This educational course was developed by Greg A. Hayes in 2001 to help anyone understand the technical criteria of the truck weight laws in Minnesota. For questions regarding course content, please contact course instructor Greg Hayes at 218-684-1764 or GAHayes@gmail.com.
- 1.0 Roads Scholar Program credit.
- To the best of our knowledge, this course/activity meets the continuing education requirements for 6.0 PDHs as outlined in Minnesota Statute 326.107. More information concerning continuing education for professionals is online.
For questions regarding course content, please contact course instructor Greg Hayes at 218-684-1764 or GAHayes@gmail.com.
This program is funded by the Minnesota Department of Transportation (MnDOT), in cooperation with Alexandria Technical College and the University of Minnesota. Facilitated by the College of Continuing and Professional Studies, University of Minnesota.