Snow and Ice Control
Here's a list of select resources compiled by Minnesota LTAP.
Tailgate Talks: materials for agency training
The Training Resources Workgroup of the National LTAP Association developed Tailgate Safety Briefing Packages for agencies to use in periodic safety talks with their crews.
Salt Handling Tip Sheet
MnDOT, August 2014
MnDOT’s Office of Maintenance and Office of Environmental Stewardship created this handy one-page tip sheet to help agencies handle salt and reduce pollution. Download the checklist as a Word file (37 KB DOCX) or a PDF (117 KB PDF).
Minnesota Snow and Ice Control: Field Handbook for Snowplow Operators (488 KB PDF)
Minnesota LTAP, 2005 (2012 update)
The purpose of this field handbook is to help promote the understanding of the tools, best practices, and limitations for snow and ice control. In addition, it encourages progressive changes in snow and ice control practices that will help you reduce salt/sand use and environmental impacts while meeting the safety and mobility needs of roadway users.
Local Government Snowplow Salt and Sander Controller Calibration Guide (2 MB PDF)
Minnesota Local Road Research Board, 2009
The purpose of this guide book is to provide easy-to-use steps for calibrating snowplow sander controllers. It is an experience-based guide that captures tips and techniques learned by experienced calibrators. Also includes a Manual Calibration Calculation Worksheet (50 KB XLS)
Winter Parking Lot and Sidewalk Maintenance Manual (982 KB PDF)
Minnesota Pollution Control Agency, 2006
The Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA) sponsored the development of the Winter Parking Lot and Sidewalk Maintenance Manual. It is based on the Minnesota Snow and Ice Control Field Handbook for Snowplow Operators, produced by Minnesota LTAP, as well as on training materials used in an MPCA parking lot winter maintenance training class. The purpose of this manual is to deliver practical advice for improving operating efficiency and reducing environmental impacts to those who manage parking lots and sidewalks.
Automated Application Rate Charts
- Deicing Study: Putting the Products to the Test (MnDOT, 2014, 3:00)
- Sander operation and calibration videos (MnDOT, FORCE America, 2014)
- Anatomy of a Winter Storm (MnDOT, September 2013)
- Winter Maintenance for Small Sites (Mississippi Watershed Management Organization, University of Minnesota, Fortin Consulting Inc, and Digital Motion, LLC, 2012, 19:35)
- Field Guide to Testing Deicing Materials (Clear Roads, 2012, 24:45)
- Sander/Salt Spreader calibration video (MassDOT, 2011, 13:01)
- Sander/Salt Spreader Calibration (Baystate Roads Program, 2006, 13:01)
- Frost Damage in Pavement: Causes and Cures
- A Snowplow—Cool! Video
These select websites, compiled by Minnesota LTAP, can help you find more information on this topic.
- Minnesota Local Road Research Board (Please go to the LRRB website and use the search tool to find resources about this topic.)
- MnDOT Living Snow Fences
- Blowing Snow Control Tools website (contains a drift-free road design tool and a cost/benefit calculator.)
- FHWA Snow and Ice
- Salt Institute Safe and Sustainable Snowfighting
- Clear Roads Research Program
These pre-constructed searches can help you find current resources on this topic.
The Minnesota LTAP Librarian can help you find and obtain LTAP and CTS publications and research, as well as transportation-related materials from other libraries and databases.
Please call 612-624-3646 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.